tax amnesty program
The Rhode Island Division of Taxation is offering a limited tax amnesty program starting Sept. 2 and running through Nov. 15, 2012. The amnesty will allow certain taxpayers to pay the full amount of the overdue taxes plus 75% of interest due without having to pay the remaining 25% of interest and any penalties. It also exempts the taxpayer from additional civil or criminal penalties.
The amnesty is extended to corporate income tax, estate tax, fiduciary and personal income, sales and use tax, tobacco taxes, and unemployment and temporary disability insurance.
The amnesty program covers tax that were due before Dec. 21, 2011 and personal income tax returns that were due in April 2012. Taxes and interest must be paid in full by Dec. 14, 2012, but payment plans are available. Certain taxpayers facing criminal investigation or with cases currently in court are not eligible.
Comments will be approved before showing up.